What do I do when I am being denied union representation?

Should you be denied union representation when meeting with a superior or with Human Resources:

  1. Insist that if you are to be counseled, warned, suspended or discharged, the collective agreement and the Quebec law require that you be offered the option of having a union representation be present at the meeting.
  2. If during the meeting the university discusses your future employment or discipline, or implies that this could happen, request that a union delegate be present.
  3. Do not make or sign any statements for the university without the benefit or counsel of your union delegate.
  4. The law allows the union to be present at the meeting at your request as well as to later file a grievance on your behalf.