The Professional Development fund, provided by the university, is an opportunity for CUPEU members to improve their professional skills particularly as they enhance their work for the University. If you’re thinking of applying for it, here is some information you need to know:
The Professional Development processing structure is based on considerable feedback from the membership and careful deliberation on how to best serve it as a whole. The maximum amount for members to request is a significant amount of money at $4,100, so it is within reason that every requirement of the current process is observed.
The University, CUPEU Union and CUPEU Professional Development Committee will not tolerate rude behaviour from members at any part of the PD process (application, (dis)approval, reimbursement).
To minimize frustration, it is highly recommended that you start planning, if not preparing, months in advance so if you have questions or concerns, you can get in touch with CUPEU to help you prepare your application properly and in a timely manner.
If you will not need or do not use the approved PD funds (e.g. due to event cancellation or scheduling conflict); let the VP Special Projects know as soon as possible.
Try looking for the best cost-effective means for travel and accommodation arrangements; it would be nice to dispense funds to as many CUPEU members as possible.
To be eligible for Professional Development funding, you must:
• be a full-time permanent employee who has completed the probation period OR be in a contract for three consecutive years in the same job.
• be a CUPEU member in good standing. To be in good standing, you must have attended a CUPEU Welcome Meeting and signed the CUPEU membership application form.
• To set up a meeting, call the CUPEU office at ext. 8603 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• You’ll need to bring $2 to this meeting for the one-time application fee required by the Quebec Labour Code.
• not have been awarded CUPEU Professional Development funds in the current fiscal year (May 1, 20XY to April 31, 20XZ).
Members NOT eligible to apply for CUPEU Professional Development:
• are on contract for less than three years in the same job
• are on time-sheets
• are on leave (sick, maternity/paternal)
• have not completed their probation period
• have not attended the CUPEU Welcome Meeting to confirm their standing in the union.
• have paid for their proposed Professional Development activity prior to applying
No funds shall be allocated for the purchase of equipment (e.g. computers, cameras, photocopiers, etc.).
Priority for approval goes to requests relating to your current job and where you stand in this order:
• first-time applicants
• applicants who’ve not applied in the last three years
• applicants who’ve not applied in the last two years
• everyone else
Approvals are based on these considerations and the availability of funds. The Professional Development Committee’s decisions are final.
1. Members can apply digitally using this form.
• Use “PD (Round #: deadline MM/DD/YY): Your name” as the subject line when you email your application form (YourName-PD-application.pdf) with all supporting documents (converted to PDF) to: email@example.com
• Include all pertinent supporting documents for the specific activity. Provide these documents as ONE combined PDF titled: YourName-PD-supporting-documents.pdf
2. Fill all required fields. Avoid being disqualified for incomplete information by ensuring that you:
• disclose previous PD funds you’ve been awarded and when (month, year)
• provide sufficient travel information and budget amounts (e.g. cost of books)
• provide the exchange rate used
• verify that you are not claiming meals covered by event organizers. Applications are considered incomplete without this verification
• provide a scanned PDF of the signed Supervisor’s Approval of Absence Form if time off work is required
• Itinerary / program of events
• Registration fee
• Approximate travel fare (ie. flight, train, bus)
• Car mileage
• Hotel accommodation fee
For courses and workshops
• Program and course / workshop description
For membership and association dues
• Description of organization/association
For books, magazines and software
• Each application will have different requirements based on the type of activity or supplies requested. At a minimum, all applications must include the following:
• Application Form
• Description of request
• Form(s) specific to the activity(ies)
• Total Budget form
3. The deadline to submit properly completed applications for each round is 4:00 p.m. This is a firm deadline and there are no exceptions. You will receive an email confirming that we received your application. The application deadline dates for the upcoming rounds of this fiscal year are:
• Round 2: Sept. 4, 2018 (Tuesday)
• Round 3: Dec. 4, 2018 (Tuesday)
• Round 4: March 5, 2019 (Tuesday
• Round 1: June 4, 2019 (Tuesday)
Total funding for each round is limited to one-fourth of the fund’s value on June 1 of the current budget year.
4. The Professional Development Committee meets two weeks after the application deadline to review applications. Successful applicants will be notified by email from the VP of Special Projects soon thereafter.
• Applications for events, workshops or learning/ development activities that take place within this 2-week window will not be considered.
• Plan ahead. If your conference is scheduled for Sept 24-26, 2018, apply in the June 2018 round. If you are not sure when to apply, get in touch with the union.
5. You can proceed to pay for your proposed expenses only when your application is approved; expenditures made otherwise will not be refunded whether the application is approved or not.
The University does not advance cash anymore except in the following ways:
Corporate Card: If you hold or you have access to a Department Corporate card, you may use this to charge all your Professional Development expenses.
Pre-payment of Invoices*: You may request an invoice made out to Concordia University and referencing your Name from the providers of service e.g. Hotel, Conference Registration
University Travel Agents: For advance booking of flights, you can use one of Concordia University’s affiliated travel agencies by completing a Travel Voucher form* and include supporting documents for immediate reimbursement.
*This should be sent directly to VP Special Projects at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• It is the member’s responsibility to keep a copies of their Travel Voucher and supporting documents.
• Once the completed form and supporting documents are received, the submission is forwarded to Human Resources for approval and Accounts Payable for processing, this usually takes 24 to 48 hours.
You need to read the following documents from the university:
• Reimbursement checklist (Expense Reports for reimbursement can only be submitted after the approved activities occurred within 30 days.)
Once the committee informs you which activities and amounts were approved, you can begin to pay for those activities (expenses paid for before approval cannot be claimed). Make sure to keep all receipts. You will be responsible for any expenses that exceed the approved amounts.
• Fill out Concordia University Expense Report Form(available online. You can use this example for reference (you’ll find frequently used account codes here). Send your claim via internal mail to: VP Special Projects, LOY-PC-2413
• If you used a travel voucher: Include the amount awarded for travel (indicated on your travel voucher) under the Expense Report form’s “Description (Type of Expenditure)” section. List this amount again on “Less Prepaid Air/Train Fare” line and include supporting documents (e.g. detailed original receipts, credit card statement) as well as a copy of the travel voucher form in your claim.
• If you used the online form, print it.
• Include supporting documents (e.g. invoices or receipts and/or boarding passes). Make copies for good measure.
• Keep all receipts. Paste small-sized receipts (e.g. meal bills, taxi receipts, gas receipts) on a sheet of paper by expense category.
• Boarding passes are required to validate your travel expense claims.
• If you paid for expenses with foreign currency, provide credit card statements that highlight transactions or include Bank of Canada’s day exchange rates with your claim if cash was used.
• In addition to the expense report, you must send a one-page summary of how the PD activities enriched you professionally no later than 60 days following your PD activity to VP Special Projects and your Approval Supervisor. Failure to do so jeopardizes the status of your next request for Professional Development funds.
• It is the member’s responsibility to submit a complete and properly filled expense report with supporting documents; failure of which, the reimbursement process might take more time.
• Expense reports must be submitted within 30 days from the approved activity’s date.
• You are responsible for any expenses that exceed the approved amounts.
• Incomplete or incorrectly filled claim forms will be returned to you. There will be no cross-subsidization of expenses in different categories (i.e. over-budgeted airfare cannot be subsidized by under-budgeted accommodations when making the expense claim), you will be reimbursed for amounts less than or equal to the value of each item listed in your application’s budget. For example:
• Processing a claim takes approximately 3-4 weeks, at which point Financial Services will reimburse funds to your bank account and email a notification to you.